Monday, September 15, 2008

Reasons for joining

There are many reasons why I choose to study the work of Social Entrepreneurs. A Social Entrepreneur is one who recognizes a social problem and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create and manage a venture to make a social change. These people try and solve the worlds leading problems using their knowledge of product, system, and service design while also combining their knowledge of industrial design. being able to use these techniques and principles to help people living in 3rd world countries is extremely important to me. This type of design and business is not only based around making money for large cor prate companies. This line of work has an end result which will create a positive impact and a lasting change for the better.
When I was six months old I was adopted from a small fishing town in Villeta, Paraguay. Paraguay has been labeled as a third world country due to the social class difference. There are many people in Paraguay suffering from the effects of poverty. If I had not been adopted I would still be in those bad conditions being forced to grow up in a foster home without any of the opportunities I have today in America that so many take for granted. I am truly blessed to have been able to grow up here and explore and develop my talents especially art which got me into RISD. This class has given me another good opportunity to learn a new skill that in turn will help me see different ways in which i can use my design skills to help people that are not as lucky as I have been in my lifetime. I am very excited to get started to learn how I can help.

No comments: