Monday, November 3, 2008

Interview with Broad Street Studio Youth Staff Member


Akinola Daramola is 19 years old and is the newest addition to the Rhode show which is a branch off of the Broad Street Studio. This are some questions from our interview.


What is your role within the organization?

I'm on the Rhode show and I participate as an Emcee, Producer, and I balance that also by being a full-Time student at CCRI.

What does your day look like, and what type of activities or tasks do you do?

The days that I participate in the Broad Street Studio are on Tuesdays at 6:00pm. Here is where all the Rhode show members collaborate and brainstorm. This is where the magic happens and where the creativity comes out. We share with each other our own work and see how we can improve. We practice what we might be expected to do for shows and live performances. This is also a time for any other members of Broad street studio to come and experience the arts of poetry weather they are interested in visual arts or liberal arts.


What do you find most challenging in your day and what do you enjoy most?

The most challenging part of being an artist and a performer is that your future is not certain. At the same time we are doing what we love so it makes all the hard practice and long nights of collaboration worth it. Theres nothing else I would rather do. Writing is in my veins in my heart. My heart also is in this organization helping more than just the kids of providence but also the over all reputation and expectations of minorities within the city.


How did you get involved in the organization?

I heard about the Broad Street studio through one of my high school advisers. I was doing music for a while. I felt like being part of the organization could help me with my music and t the same time help the reputation of my people and get our voices out there for the public to hear. The Rhode show has been very successful especially with our new CD that is out called the Growth Project 2.0. This features live beats, freestyles, and our own personal tracks. My artist name on the tracks is the same as my given name "Akinola."

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Hopefully by then we will have taken over more than just providence. I want our voices to be recognized in major cities starting with New York and Boston. Its hard being an artist from a smaller city like Providence, eventually if we keep working at it we will get our message out there and we will be successful.


No comments: